10 Ways to Overcome Depression and Those Winter Blues
October 19, 2007
Many people face a constant battle against depression, and whilst there is no instant magical cure for this, there are things that you can do to help improve your mood and to prevent depression getting the better of you. Keep reading for 10 of the best ways to overcome depression and winter blues.
1) Exercise – Exercise and fresh air play a big part in keeping depression and mood swings at bay. By aiming to get outside at least twice a day for half an hour at a time you will find that this helps you clear your hear, think straight and aids concentration.
2) Eat Right – What you eat plays a big part in the way you feel on a day to day basis. You will probably find that binging on Junk food, snacks and stodgy foods will make you feel more tired, lethargic and generally less motivated. Try to eat plenty of fresh fruit, fish, salad and vegetables and avoid sugary foods. You can always use Vitamin supplements if you feel as if you aren’t quite getting your correct daily intake but consult a professional first.
3) Drink Right – Drinking the right things is just as important, if not more so than eating right. You need to make sure you are drinking at least 6 glasses of water each day and avoiding too much caffeine. Water helps aid concentration, keep skin clear and our body relies on us drinking plenty to function correctly.
4) Sleep Matters – If you don’t get enough sleep you will find that you become tired and irritable, people who suffer from depression often have trouble sleeping and find it hard to ‘shut down’ at night. Try a long soak in a bath filled with calming and relaxing essences such as lavender and Cedarwood. These are widely available and if you have sensitive skin you could try using an oil burner or scented candles to create a relaxing environment.
5) Avoid Negative Influences – The people who you surround yourself with say a lot about your life and your state of mind. Try to avoid being around people who are constantly down or have a tendency to moan a lot. Instead try and surround yourself with happy, fun people. Their good mood may just rub off on you!
6) Write it down! – It’s not good to keep your feelings bottled up, so try and talk things over with a friend or write things down in a journal where you can let out all your feelings, try to read it back afterwards and think about why you might be feeling the way you do and what you can do to improve the situation.
7) Sunshine – The Sun is one of the best remedies for those days when you are feeling depressed and down. Try to get out in the sun as often as possible, the sun’s rays contain UVA which stimulates the skin and produces Vitamin D which is great for bones.
8) Keep Busy! – If you are sat around doing nothing you are more likely to find yourself getting depressed. You have more time to think, and things can often seem worse than they really are. Take yourself out for a walk, do some gardening or anything that involved you moving around and keeping your body and mind active. You’ll be surprised at the results!
9) Understanding Depression – It is important to try and understand your depression, and to believe that you are not a failure for the way you feel and that things can and will get better given time. Try to figure out what puts you into a depressed mindset, do certain things trigger it or is it constant? The more things you can pinpoint about your depression the easier it will be to overcome it in the long run.
10) Seek Help – Depression can be extremely hard to deal with and can come with a whole host of other health problems. It is important that you know when to ask for help, and that you aren’t scared to ask for it. Health professionals, doctors and your local GP are always on hand to come to for advice or if you feel you need medication. They can assess your situation and give you the best possible advice, however scary it may seem at first seeking help is a necessary part of overcoming depression and to leading a happy, relaxed lifestyle.
Written by Editor
- Delicious Last Minute Easter Treats and Gifts
- Last Minute LUSH Easter Gift Ideas
- Treat Mum to a gorgeous Mother’s Day gift from the Biscuiteers
- Mother’s Day Skincare and Make-up Gift Guide
- Top Picks: Mother’s Day Flowers
- Who’s in your corner?
- How to Get Over a Break Up
- Penelope DVD and Prize Pack Competition!
- Makeup Quality and Cost
- JAMIE OLIVER’S NEW RECIPE FOR ROMANCE