This is the Medical Drama that has been sweeping the nation since 1994 and just last year was crowned the most watched television programme in the WORLD! It follows the grumpy genius Dr Gregory House (Hugh Laurie), who works for the diagnostic department…House has four people working for him, the beautiful Dr. Remy “Thirteen” Hadley who is battling Huntingtons disease, Dr Eric Foreman who quit in season 3 but is now back, Dr Chris Taub an ex-plastic surgeon and the open minded and enthusiastic Dr Lawrence Kutner; meanwhile Dr Lisa Cuddy, Hospital Dean and Head of Medicine, calls the shots and brings a spot of sexual tension between herself and House.
Season five is just starting to wrap up here in the U.K. but most places are eagerly waiting season six, released on 21st September ‘09, while the cast shoot season seven! So just in case you’ve been missing out on the past few years of the intense, addictive and extremely powerful series here is a few of the basics:
• The writers have real doctors at their disposal to help them write the scripts so it is all medically accurate!
• The hospital is based on a real hospital in Princeton, Princeton Hospital, the University Medical Center at Princeton.
• The show has won 2 Golden Globes, another 28 wins and has had 66 nominations… so far!
• Hugh Laurie shot his auditioned for the show in a hotel bathroom, because it was the room with the most light!
• From the creation of the show it was decided that the main character would be disabled in some way, House was originally confined to a wheelchair, but Fox Network rejected this idea. David Shore, the shows creator, then decided to give him physical dimension in House’s now famous cane, which was caused by an incorrect diagnosis on a damaged leg and leads to his dependence on drugs.
• House’s character is strongly based on the fictional character Sherlock Holmes, particularly with his addiction to drugs and his desire to solve the insolvable.
• The number of House’s apartment, 221B, is a reference to Holmes’s street address.
• In season three House decided he wanted a change and so fired Australian Doctor Chase (Jesse Spencer), causing Dr Cameron (Jennifer Morrison) and Dr Foreman (Omar Epps) to quit. In season four he hired his new team including Foreman again, while Cameron and Chase became recurring characters still working in the hospital
• Laurie is actually British, although he uses his American accent at all times while on set.
• He studied archaeology and anthropology at Cambridge University, where he met Stephen Fry, their friendship later led to “A bit of Fry and Laurie” a comedy sketch show!
• Spencer (Dr Chase) and Morrison (Dr Cameron) became in engaged in December 2006 when he proposed in French on the Eiffel tower; however they called the engagement off five months later.
• Hugh Laurie’s own father was a doctor, and he feels a twinge of guilt at “being paid more to become a fake version of my own father.”
• Olivia Wilde (Thirteen) is a vegan
• Kal Penn’s (Dr Kutner) real name is Kalpen Modi, he says after he changed the name on his resume and photos his audition callbacks rose by 50%.
• Epps (Dr Foreman) and his brother started a rap group called “Wolfpak” in 1991.
• By season five Laurie was earning around $400,000 per episode, making him one of the highest paid actors on network television.
And just a small spoiler for all you fans, the remaining eight episodes of House season five will include a serious motorbike accident and a death. Keep watching, Sundays 9pm Sky 1.
As always, thanks for reading!