Most girls are very attached to their handbags. In fact, for a lot of us, we would be completely lost without it! Not only do they carry all our everyday essentials, but they do it in impeccable style.
Despite this undeniable adoration for our arm candy, all too many of us don’t look after these prized possessions properly. They are often used as a dumping ground for empty sweet wrappers and water bottles and exposed to harsh weather conditions. This treatment can lead to your bag being forced into retirement well before its time!
Give your arm candy the love and care it deserves by following this handbag care guide.
The exterior of your bag is one of the most important parts. The colour, shape and detailing are what attracted you to the bag in the first place. Here are some tips on how to keep the outside of your bag looking beautiful and as good as new.
- Apply protection spray to your bag regularly to give it the best chance of surviving the rain, snow, sleet and other harsh weather conditions.
- Whenever your bag gets wet, gently dry it with a dry cloth as soon as you can to prevent spots and stains developing.
- For a leather bag, use shoe polish in a similar colour to fill in any worn corners and to generally restore its shine and colour.
- Any stains can usually be wiped clean using a damp cloth.
- Metallic fasteners and buckles will look restored when buffed with a jewelry cleaning cloth. If you decide to use a silver or brass cleaning product, do take great care not to get it on any other areas of your handbag.
The contents play a big part in the look and life of your handbag. Follow these tips on what items to carry in your beloved bag.
- It is a good idea to include something in your bag that will indicate who it belongs to in case it is lost or stolen. A card would do the trick, but we love the creative idea of a custom logo case for your phone, laptop or tablet. You can add any text or image to your gadget cases to make them personal to you.
- Avoid carrying anything in your bag that could damage or dirty the interior. This includes unwrapped food, bottles, lid-less pens and loose items of makeup.
- Avoid carrying too much or items that are too heavy. If you don’t, you could risk damaging or misshaping your bag.
Finally, it is important to look after the interior of your bag. And here’s how:
- Give it a good clean every once and while to remove any unwanted items and to clean away any crumbs.
- Give old handbags a new life by fixing any tears in the lining. Do this by turning the lining out and using a needle and thread. If you are not confident with this kind of repair, you can pay to have it done professionally.
- Stains can be dealt with by gently rubbing the area with a cloth and detergent and soaking the lining in warm water.
Thanks for reading!