To celebrate the release of Pedro Almodovar’s new film Broken Embraces released in UK cinemas on 28th August 2009, we have teamed up with Pathe to give one lucky winner the chance to win a poster from the release signed by Pedro Almovador and Penelope Cruz!
A man writes, lives and loves in darkness. Fourteen years before, he was in a brutal car crash on the island of Lanzarote. In the accident, he didn’t lose only his sight, he also lost Lena, the love of his life.
This man uses two names: Harry Caine, a playful pseudonym with which he signs his literary works, stories and scripts, and Mateo Blanco, his real name, with which he lives and signs the film he directs. After the accident, Mateo Blanco reduces himself to his pseudonym, Harry Caine. If he can’t direct films he can only survive with the idea that Mateo Blanco died on Lanzarote with his beloved Lena.
In the present day, Harry Caine lives thanks to the scripts he writes and to the help he gets from his faithful former production manager, Judit García, and from Diego, her son, his secretary, typist and guide. When Diego has an accident and circumstances are such that Harry is left to take care of him, Diego asks Harry about the time when he answered to the name of Mateo Blanco.
With the idea of entertaining him, Harry tells Diego what happened fourteen years ago just as a father tells his little child a story so that he’ll fall asleep.
The story of Mateo (Lluis Homar), Lena (Penelope Cruz), Judit (Blanco Portillo) and Ernesto Martel (Jose Luis Gomez) is a story of “amour fou”, dominated by fatality, jealously, the abuse of power, treachery and a guilt complex. A moving and terrible story, the most expressive image of which is the photo of two lovers embracing, torn into a thousand pieces.
For your chance to win a signed poster from the film just answer the following simple question…
What is the name of the famous Hispanic actress that plays Lena in the film?
• Salma Hayek
• Penelope Cruz
• Catalina Sandino Moreno
Submit your answer along with your details using the contact form below! Competition closes September 12th 2009. Good luck!
1. Entry to the competitions is restricted to one entry per person please.
2. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
3. Excessive multiple entries from the same email account pertaining to be representative of friends and family will also be disqualified at the judges discretion.
4. No automated entries or third party are permitted!
5. Competitions are open to UK residents only unless otherwise stated
6. Prizes can only be sent to a valid UK address unless otherwise stated
7. Winners will be chosen at random, from all correct and valid entries to the competition
8. Once the competition closes we will email you and you will have one week to claim your prize, or your prize will be forfeit, and offered to the next available winner.
9. We are compliant with the data protection act. Our policy is such that we will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.
10. The Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered in to.