Win Copes of Confessions of a Demented Housewife The Celebrity Year By Niamh Greene
• Published on 13th November 2008, £6.99•
The bestselling debut author of 2007 Niamh Greene, is back by popular demand with the hilarious second instalment from the Demented Housewife……
After a lot of arm-twisting, Susie Hunt agreed to let us publish a further instalment of her scintillating diaries, on condition that we let her put them ‘in context’:
1) My husband Joe and I are soul-mates. Nothing – including, er, smouldering Lone Fathers or Joe’s teeny mid-life crisis – could ever come between us. (Hopefully he won’t find out about smouldering Lone Father’s sexed-up expose of our secret ‘affair’ last year.)
2) Offspring Katie and Jack are well-adjusted and happy – even if Jack thinks he’s a dog and Katie wants to be a Pussy Cat Doll.
3) VBF Louise makes new motherhood appear unnaturally glamorous. It simply isn’t normal to fit into size zero jeans so soon after giving birth – and I have the jelly belly to prove it.
4) I did not cynically engineer my close personal friendship with Celebrity Mom Angelica Law. The whole newspaper-paparazzi-telly thing was NOT my fault – I can’t help it if I’ve got star quality in bucket-loads, can I?
Niamh Greene’s debut novel, Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife reached Number 1 in the Irish bestseller charts and reached Number 12 in the UK Charts. To date it has sold over 180,000 copies which is quite phenomenal for a first novel. Niamh currently lives in Co Wexford with her husband and two children.
About Niamh Greene…
Stay-at-home mum Niamh received a BA in English and French from University College Dublin. She always dreamed of being a writer, but, instead of just getting down to it like any normal person would, she took the unusual decision to work in a series of unsatisfactory jobs for many years. These included tourism, publishing and PR. The only bonus of taking this unconventional route to being published is that she got to live in Dublin, London and San Francisco.
Niamh has two adorable (and unsuspecting) young children who know nothing of their mother’s betrayal in using them for “inspiration”. She wrote Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife while said children napped.
After reading part of the book, her long-suffering and wonderful husband insisted she submit it to Penguin. It was published in May 2007 to huge publicity and great reviews. To date, the book has bookscanned just over 180,000 copies across the UK and Ireland, a phenomenal sale for a first novel. She has been short-listed in two categories in the Irish Book Awards: ‘The Galaxy Irish Popular Fiction Book of the Year’ and ‘The International Education Services Irish Newcomer of the Year.’
Little known facts about Niamh…
Niamh’s current passions include driving her two children to and from a bewildering array of social engagements across the city. She also is also very committed to watching reality TV shows and reading trashy magazines. Unfortunately, this means she has little time or energy left for other noble pursuits, such as orienteering or training for mini marathons.
Niamh won a short story competition years ago. She was also patrol leader of her Girl Guide troupe (but only because someone else dropped out).
As a sensible mother of two, Niamh no longer performs outrageous party pieces or dances drunkenly on tabletops. Admittedly, this may be because she now falls asleep after two glasses of Pinot Grigio.
After living all her adult life in various cosmopolitan cities, Niamh is now relocating to the countryside to “downsize”. She is telling everyone that she plans to write, grow organic vegetables and raise chickens. However, she secretly fantasizes about driving a Range Rover, employing a gardener and becoming part of the horsy set.
We have 10 copies of this fantastic book to give away to lucky girlie gossip readers! All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is email us using the contact form below and tell us what was the last book you read?
Good luck, competition closes december 2nd!
1. Entry to the competitions is restricted to one entry per person please.
2. Multiple entries will be disqualified.
3. Excessive multiple entries from the same email account pertaining to be representative of friends and family will also be disqualified at the judges discretion.
4. No automated entries or third party are permitted!
5. Competitions are open to UK residents only unless otherwise stated
6. Prizes can only be sent to a valid UK address unless otherwise stated
7. Winners will be chosen at random, by computer, from all correct and valid entries to the competition
8. Winners will be contacted via email and must reply and claim their prize within 7 working days or the prize will be awarded to another entrant at random.
9. We are compliant with the data protection act. Our policy is such that we will not pass on your details to any third party without your prior consent.
10. The Judges decision is final and no correspondance will be entered in to.